Miriam Manglani is an instructional designer and training manager with over 12 years experience and a Masters degree in Technology in Education from Harvard University with expertise in the field of eLearning, blended learning, and course production. She has worked for large companies as well as smaller start-up companies that have launched a product or team from the ground up. Her broad skill set includes an aptitude for learning new technologies, writing, editing, instructional design, visual design, and project management.
When she's not working, Miriam enjoys swimming, reading, writing for her blog, working with clay on the pottery wheel, and above all, spending time with her husband, daughter, and twin boys.
Resume as a PDF
Akamai, Manager of Global Performance Operations
Akamai, Lead Senior Documentation and Training Specialist
June 2014–October 2015
Akamai, Senior Documentation and Training Specialist
May 2012–June 2014
- Hire and manage a local and remote training team: Guide employees in daily work, provide regular feedback on performance, write performance reviews, and help employees develop and improve their skills.
- Identify training needs and scope and prioritize projects by meeting regularly with stakeholders across the department; Define and implement strategy to address identified needs.
- Managed and led a large project to convert to SCORM and migrate over a hundred courses and associated completion data from an open source LMS to Cornerstone. The project resulted in saving over half a full-time employee.
- Drove a project to streamline and standardize a blended learning on-boarding program across multiple locations that resulted in a two week reduction in training time.
- Defined and implemented course production process and new course production software and template to streamline work.
- Designed and implemented new CSS formatting and helped define structural changes for procedures that resulted in a significant increase in procedure execution efficiency.
- Implemented new formatting and helped define structural changes for procedures that resulted in a significant increase in procedure execution efficiency.
- Redesigned department website by modifying an HTML 5/CSS Bootstrap framework and working with managers on requirements.
Self-employed, Freelance Instructional Designer
November 2012–May 2013
- Develop blended learning programs and self-paced online courses for clients including CDM Smith and Raytheon.
- Provide instructional design services as well course production and multi-media design using Lectora, Photoshop, Flash, and Captivate.
America’s Test Kitchen, Senior Instructional Designer
January 2011–November 2012
For a nationally recognized leader in the cooking publishing industry, led instructional design and course production for a cutting-edge online cooking school www.onlinecookingschool.com) that has enrolled thousands of students.
- Develop cooking school curriculum by working closely with the Editorial Director: Synthesize and edit content from various print sources, draft learning objectives and assessment questions, and design interactive learning experience.
- Drafted website content used to promote and market the cooking school.
- Help design a custom course authoring system and LMS from the ground up by working closely with developers to identify features and troubleshoot technical issues.
- Managed the production of over 100 courses: Developed production schedules, worked with various outside departments to coordinate and ensure on time delivery of assets, which include thousands of images and over 20 videos per course, and managed production assistants.
- Trained instructors on the fundamentals of effective teaching and worked with them to ensure high quality personalized instruction.
CDMSmith, Senior Training Specialist
March 2008–December 2010
- Worked with engineers (subject matter experts) to design and develop online training: Identified the business need for training, target audience, learning objectives, and the most effective delivery method; analyzed, organized, and rewrote technical content; drafted detailed storyboards; designed assessments; and built training using eLearning production tools such as Lectora and Flash.
- Planned and project managed multiple training initiatives simultaneously by organizing and facilitating large meetings, communicating proactively to move projects forward, setting deadlines, drafting and maintaining master schedules, and tracking deliverables.
- Designed course evaluations, analyzed evaluation results, and recommended course improvements.
- Mentored junior level employee in the development of visual design skills and supervised and managed the work of external consultants.
Iron Mountain, eLearning Instructional Designer
June 2007–March 2008
- Designed and developed online courses to deliver software application training: Wrote storyboards, created interactive elements for inclusion in online courses, and processed audio.
- Coached department trainers on the use of eLearning tools and assisted in course production.
Six Red Marbles, Contract Educational Product Developer
February 2007–June 2007
- Wrote functional specifications for the development of software that allows teachers to manage science labs and other classroom activities.
athenahealth, Instructional Designer
January 2006–February 2007
- Designed and created online courses to deliver job-specific and healthcare industry training. Identified learning objectives, created storyboards and outlines, wrote content, and developed courses.
- Acted as technical lead: Researched and implemented course publishing software and wrote specifications and procedure documentation for the development of online courses.
- Performed needs assessment and gap analysis around current LMS, served as interim LMS administrator, and hired and supervised external contractors to resolve technical issues.
Newbury College and The New England Institute of Art, Adjunct Instructor in Web Design
Fall semesters 2003, 2004, & 2005
- Developed a course syllabus, lesson plans, online lessons, homework, and in-class exercises to support student learning. Taught basic website production skills: XHTML and CSS coding, image creation, and the application of fundamental design principles and web standards.
Various Companies, Web Developer and Web Designer
August 2000–January 2004
- Held multiple positions in the field of web design and development.
Articulate 360, Lectora, Captivate, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro X, Audacity, Visio, HTML 5/CSS, Bootstrap, basic SQL, Microsoft Office Suite, and JIRA. Experience with Moodle and CornerStone LMS and SCORM standards.
Harvard University, Graduate School of Education, June 2005
Master of Education in Technology in Education
Coursework in learning technologies, learning theory, and curriculum development.
Brandeis University, May 1998
Bachelor of Arts, Major in English; Graduated cum laude.